Friday 30 January 2009

The last time I was deeply affected by a film, it was 'The Killing Fields' and I remember trying to explain to someone at dinner the following evening what the film was about, and it made me cry a whole day later!

I have just watched the most incredible film, and I am sure it will have the same effect. I have just cried most of the way through it..............this time the film was 'Into the Wild'

It comes very highly recommended, but I just wondered if anyone feels they can recommend a 'must watch' film or even a 'must read' book?

I am currently reading a few books, I get carried away and have to start them all at once, presently I am trying to read 4 books, 'The year of living biblically' (very funny), 'My bookie wook' the bible, (attempted many times, but now I have a plan) and then I am reading a bizarre book, which I have been for sometime, but it is hard work, but I won't be defeated, this one is called 'Human Traces' by Sebastian Faulkes, its about lunatic assylums (probably the right choice for me).

So I need suggestions to get me well read and well watched..... following in the footsteps of my very good friend, this is from my 'to do' list, so any suggestions would be much appreciated, I do however, have the complete box set of Lord of the rings including The Hobbit on my bedside table in the queue...............

3 comments:

suzie said...

Oh my goodness Gilly, I can't handle more than one book at a time and my reading material at the moment would bore the heck out of you. As for films, I'm way behind, the last one I watched was The Green Mile and that was on New Years Eve. How sad am I eh!

Hunni, how on earth do you manage to fit everything in around your studying, I think you're amazing.

Please move in here for a few weeks and get me clued up in time managment :D

Loads of love, always.
xxx

Unknown said...

My Mrs has done the whole bible. I've managed the New Test. and some of the Old in the past, but to be honest I found a lot of the Old Testament a bit hard going as it can be a bit confusing at times. I also skipped though Numbers quite quickly. All those begot's, yawn. The thing is I know they are there to prove lineage from the house of David. So if I'm in any doubt I'll now where to look. LOL!

Do read The Hobbit & LOTR, but be aware that Tolkien is very descriptive in LOTR (The Hobbit is aimed more at a younger reader) some people can find it a bit boring. As for me it just enhanced the story as there was no need to try and imagine too much of what something was like, if you see what I mean. If you've seen the Peter Jackson version of the films the depictions of scenes/characters are pretty spot on.

If you do manage those you could go on to "The Silmarillion" after. Which is a book of short stories relating to Middle Earth & LOTR. It basically reads like a bible for Middle Earth in the early stages & gives more background to the races and characters of the stories. It's best read last as it reveals a lot of the answers for the questions left by LOTR.

Eragon, inc. Eldest & Brisingr soon to be a quadrilogy as one more book is due is another I like in a similar vein to LOTR.

Terry Pratchett is brilliant & funny. Start with The Colour Of Magic.

Harry Potter if you've never read them are very good & funny too.

The complete Chronicles Of Narnia are an easy read. 6 small books, but not as good as LOTR in my opinion.

My Mrs is the best to ask about Bronte & Austen & those type of books.

If you liked Gavin & Stacey & want something that is easy to pick up & put down at anytime for a bit of a light read and something that is very funny then "Gavin & Stacey from Barry to Billericay" is good.

Film wise you could see The LOTR trilogy before you read the books if you haven't already. It's up to you. They are stunning with a brilliant musical score by the great Howard Shore.

The 3 Bourne films are good if it's action you like. Starring Matt Damon. *everyone shouts "Matt Damon" (it's a Radio 1 Scott Mills thing)*

I also found "Atonement" quite good. It's set before and during WWII. Won't say much as I think it would spoil it.

I think you have enough to be going along for now.

Gilly said...

Suzie, I am by no means organised, my housework tends to take a bit of a back seat, and these books have been on going for some time, I just go backwards and forwards to them with the odd sainsburys magazine in the middle, I could definitely do with some time management skills!

Much love and hope you have had a good week Gillyxx

Mark, I know what you mean about the old testament, I have been reading Kings this week and it amazes me how many names are mentioned if someone arrives or departs and who they are the son of etc....sounds a bit like Grace, i'm always telling her to condense her conversations down a bit.

I've started LOTR but not got to the Hobbit yet, I'll let you know how it goes.

Much love from Gilly xx