Tuesday 10 June 2008

Grace is going on her school trip today. Its to St Johns Museum in Warwick coinciding with their studies on the Victorians this term. She is mega excited. They haven't taken the wheelchair but have phoned ahead and there is one for her to use there if the need arises, although there probably won't be much walking once inside.

We were up early to do IV's and all her usual meds and hayfever tablets etc so that she was ready for the early arrival of the coach. She was pretty breathless by the time we had reached the school gate, but I am thinking that her blocked nose is playing a big part in that presently.

I have since been to the gym and she will be well into her outing by now.

Grace has a piano lesson at 6.00pm so I imagine she will be pretty tired later, so it will be interesting to see if she manages school tomorrow, although Wednesday is a half day so hopefully she will cope.

Thankyou to everyone for comments on my previous post, it really has boosted my confidence. I did tend to feel that the Dr's, physios etc are the experts, but as everyone pointed out, no one is more the expert than myself. I found this, as I was doing Graces first dose of IV's up at the hospital last Thursday. Grace always has atleast 2 doses in hospital before we can go home to continue the course and a nurse was doing a draw back on the flush and it wouldn't draw back, infact it was springing out of her hand! I told her that we always had to push a little flush through before the draw back, she told me that they weren't supposed to do that. She eventually had to do it because nothing was coming out until she did.

She then questioned me on knowing the difference between flush and hep and I told her that I discolour the flush with the blood from the draw back and she said it was safer to leave the hep drawn back in the syringe until you were ready to use it so that you knew the difference, to which I replied that I had tried that once and forgot and almost filled her full of air so resorted to my own method. She then thought better of it and agreed with me and felt that she would have panicky parents on her hands if the same situation arose. If I could insert a picture of myself huffing on my nails and polishing them it would be very apt right now.

I'm off outside now to enjoy whats left of the lovely sunshine before it returns to our usual summer weather and having to walk round in a plastic mac absolutely drenched whilst its stuck to me from sweating!!

No comments: