Monday 23 June 2008

I had planned on going for a run this morning, but Graces line was out when she came home from school on Friday. We went up to the hospital and they made 3 attempts to access it, but couldn't. During this time Grace had a lot of entinox and needed a wheelchair to go to xray (to make sure there was nothing wrong with her port). Her Dr was on call so he said to leave it until her Cf nurse returned to work on Monday.

This morning I text her at 7.30 and so far we haven't heard anything. She may be waiting to talk to the consultant so I haven't contacted her as yet. I will give it a little while longer then give her a call to find out what the plan is.

Generally she appears a little better, but that could be just because the IV's have been stopped as thats how they make her feel.

Because Grace is so compliant they had 3 attempts with entinox to access the port, so it looks a little like a pin cushion and very bruised presently, so they might decide to leave the extra week of IV's. She hasn't complained of joint pain for the past two days so the 25mg of prednisalone daily is obviously having the desired effect.

We went out for lunch yesterday and had to sit in the garden because we didn't book and there were no tables available until 4.30 (this was at 1.00pm). Yes it was gail force winds in the Midlands yesterday, but we took our chances as it was a warm wind.

Firstly when they brought out our starters Marks garnish blew away before the waitress reached the table!! Generally lunch was very nice, but trying to eat roast beef through your hair is interesting, the worst thing was that the children take ages to eat and I decided to have a massive hayfever attack right in the middle. I was a sorry sight by the time we left and it will be a lunch we will never forget, its a good job we have sense of humour.

My Dad is currently in hospital waiting to find out if he needs to have a pacemaker fitted. He's been unwell for some time but put it down to old age and wouldn't go to the DR's (typical man thing) anyway he fell off his stepladder and had to go to casualty which turned out to be bruised ribs, but they were more than concerned with his heart and lack of blood pressure.

Anyway, the point is that a lady on another ward with cardiac problems and severe confusion, won't leave him alone, she thinks he's her husband and keeps turning his tv off and saying he shouldn't be watching it and if he's trying to sleep she keeps touching his face and adjusting his covers etc, but its really getting him down and he now seems more poorly than when he went in.

We have spoken to the sister but they said there isn't much they can do, he has been instructed to buzz the nurses if she steps foot in the room, but he is on edge all of the time and he can't sleep because she wakes him up as soon as he nods off.

He is ready to sign himself out and we have worked hard to keep him there, but surely they should be doing more to keep this lady out of his ward? especially as a cardiac patient needs to be kept calm. They can't move him as there is no other beds available, but he is very fragile and its frightening him...... poor GrandyPandy.....hopefully we get some better news later on today, but until then I have to just hover around all day waiting for update phone calls from everyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gilly,

Thank for adding the comments section. I always read your blog and find it very interesting. I really think that if I were you I would see Andy Bush, that man is a miracle worker and I have seen many patients that have been really struggling like grace get sooo much better within a few months of seeing him. My little sister used to see him and she was very poorly on the severe side with CF but he really did make a huge difference.

You are an amazing mum and should be really proud of yourself and well done for going out for your job, fantastic.

Please keep the blogging up as I really do enjoy reading it and love it when you put up photo's.

Take care,

Dubeerie (Debbie 35 years old with CF)

Anonymous said...

Hi Gilly,

Sorry I meant going out for your jog!!!

PS. Your Rose was beautiful, you must be green fingered.

Dubeerie

suzie said...

Hiya Gilly,

I got a bit of a shock there when I read Debbie's comment about your job, I thought blimey she kept that one quiet ;-)

Is there a Patient Liason department at the hospital where your dad is or somewhere you can go to voice a concern. Most hospitals have them and in my experience the staff are usually happy for relatives to talk to them because then more notice is taken.

That lunch was hard work chuck, what we do for grub eh!

Big (((HUGS))) for Grace and your Dad and a massive one for you because I think you are an amazing mum too.

xxx

Gilly said...

Don't mind saying Suzie that I got a bit of a shock myself!! Got enough to contend with at the moment without having job too!

As for both of your comments about me being an amazing Mum, well it doesn't look like it from my angle.... I do muddle along with things, but quite in a rubbish fashion.

I am going to speak to the team again about Grace seeing Andy Bush. Everyones input has been the same..... that it sounds like a really good idea.

Gilly xx