Saturday 16 June 2007

5K

I went to the gym yesterday morning. I wanted to go Thursday, but Tescos decided that it was the day they were going to deliver my new garden furniture.

I normally meet 'M' on Thursdays and she is always there before me so in order to catch up with her my run on the treadmill needs to be shorter. So today I thought I would go for a good 30 minute run and set the countdown on the treadmill for 33 minutes to include warm up, on what the hell I thought, lets put 40 minutes in.

Well I ran the full 40 minutes and had done 4.64k at this stage so I decided to speed up the cool down for 3 minutes to get a true reading of 40 minutes. After that time I wasn't quite at 5k so did another minute of running which took me well and truly over 5k! Thats the first time I have done it non stop, I could probably have done it long ago but never tried. Anyway it was easy, so I am going to attempt it on the road tomorrow although my legs were useless last night, they were stiff beyond belief every time I tried to get out of the chair, and its not for lack of cool down and stretches, I even had a leisurely swim and a blast in the jacuzzi (its lovely to get the jets of water pummeling your achy muscles).

After my run I did some abs and arms work and of course the swim.

Grace continues to have a good spell at the moment and I do think its because she can get out in the garden and on the trampoline and able to go swimming lots at the moment.

I read a post on the forum about low sats and lung function and someone said that they thought diet attributed to better lung functions and energy levels.

The poster commented that he eats healthily and doesn't dwell too much on the high fat issue. I have always given Grace a balanced healthy diet as opposed to a high fat content. We are lucky that Grace is a good eater generally and has a good appetite, I understand that lots of CF sufferers have virtually no appetite and struggle to weight gain, but so far have never had this problem with Grace and she continues to eat well really.

There has been a period up until this week that she has been off her food but now she has regained it we have made sure she has had lots of pasta and fish and vegetables and she takes masses of fruit to school everyday and she eats it as a rule. Grace loves mashed potato but we tend not to put any extra butter in than we serve ourselves, maybe its because she just doesn't like extra fatty stuff, who knows? one thing I know is that I couldn't eat loads of extra fatty things, my Mum always puts enough butter on a sandwich to grout the bathroom tiles with and have some left over, and I've always had to inspect in before she puts the filling on and scrape it back off again (no wonder she has high blood pressure and has to take pills for her cholesterol) but at 83 I don't think she really cares.

Anyway we are making the most of this good spell whilst it lasts, its just a shame the weather has gone a bit down hill, you should the see the golf course at the rear of our home, I can't imagine they have many annual members, they would never get a full years play.

2 comments:

suzie said...

I'm highly impressed by the big run....yikes 5k without stopping, gold star and big pat on the back to the lady with the magic trainers ;-)

Great to hear Grace is having a good spell, its the home cookin that does it you know.

Cheers for the link to 'magic trainers' I'll be aiming to do a bit more than my 10 minutes when I get them.

Loadsa love
Sue x

Unknown said...

5KM! WOW! Impressive!